5 New Features Of Bluetooth 5
Mark Powell executive director of Bluetooth SIG (the governing body of Bluetooth standards) the arrival of the newer version of Bluetooth called Bluetooth 5.The all new version will be more powerful than the existing 4.2 version and is all set to launch on June 16.
Mark Powell mentioned in his mail “I’m pleased to tell you that on 16 June, we will formally announce that the next version of Bluetooth will be marketed as Bluetooth 5. Veterans of the SIG will note that with this name we have dropped reference to both the version and point number in our marketing messaging. Our new naming approach is focused on simplifying our marketing, communicating user benefits more effectively and making it easier to signal significant technology updates to the market,”
As an end user, many people would simply take this as a routine version upgrade, where it might assist in file transfer or connect to accessories wirelessly. They would be so wrong as it is much than what meets the eyes.
We would like to mention 5 things you should know about it.
- Doubles the Range : In general, we get around 200 feet range on Bluetooth 4.0 devices, Powell claims that Bluetooth 5.0 will offer twice the range which would bring the newer version closer to the range offered by Wi-Fi Direct.
- 4X Speed : The Wi-Fi Direct offers speeds up to 250 Mbps whereas a Bluetooth 4.0 provides speeds upto 25Mbps for those who might be unaware of it. Comparatively, Bluetooth 5.0 promises to offer 4 times the current speeds offered by Bluetooth 4.2 version.
- Detailed advertising packet: Nah, it has got nothing to do with advertising. It simply means that it helps users identify, detect and connect to other Bluetooth devices. The current packet size is 47 bytes and includes details like name and type of device, whereas Bluetooth 5.0 will have a larger packet size which means more data can be shared among Bluetooth devices.
- Location information: As a result of the improved capabilities related to the advertising transmissions Bluetooth 5 will offer new functionalities for connectionless services. Powell states “By adding significantly more capacity to advertising transmissions, Bluetooth 5 will further propel the adoption and deployment of beacons and location-based services to users around the world,”
- New hardware: Though there is no mention on whether Bluetooth 5.0 will be backward compatible with Bluetooth 4.0 which can be updated to ver 4.1 and some also to ver 4.2. Bluetooth ver 5.0 might need new hardware and it means that Bluetooth ver 5.00 enabled devices will start to arrive in the market later this year or early next year.