Accesing Torrent Sites Will Land You In Jail For 3 Years

Torrent banned TechnoSearchGovernments all over the world are cracking down on torrent sites accused of infringing copyrights. The Indian government is no different, after a brief and awkward ban on porn will try to ban torrents.

Reports suggest accessing a torrent website will be an act of committing the crime which may land you 3 years in jail or a fine amounting to 3 Lakhs.

Major ISP’s like Airtel have been asked to block all torrent websites like Torrentz, Kickass Torrents etc. by Department of Telecommunications.

Torrent websites are a huge hit amongst users who tend to download a lot of copyrighted material like videos, games, music etc. Though the ban is stringent they find alternate methods to do so. The ban imposed by the Indian Government extends to viewing a torrent file or downloading a file from a host that may have been banned in India or even for viewing an image on a file host like Imagebam.

In another instance, founder of a famous torrent website Kickass was held in the US. Governments all over the world are cracking down on such websites but no such website, though none of them have proposed a law wherein users can be prosecuted for accessing a “blocked website”

The URL which projects such banned content will pop up a warning on the user’s screen which reads as follows :

“This URL has been blocked under the instructions of the Competent Government Authority or in compliance with the orders of a Court of competent jurisdiction. Viewing, downloading, exhibiting or duplicating an illicit copy of the contents under this URL is punishable as an offence under the laws of India, including but not limited to under Sections 63, 63-A, 65 and 65-A of the Copyright Act, 1957 which prescribe imprisonment for 3 years and also fine of up to Rs 3,00,000/-.

Any person aggrieved by any such blocking of this URL may contact at [email protected] who will, within 48 hours, provide you the details of relevant proceedings under which you can approach the relevant High Court or Authority for redressal of your grievance”

It is a bit confusing right now to guess how  the government will implement this.


You may also like...